1. What did you do in 2006 that youâ€™d never done before?
Headed up a major project and went live.
2. Did you keep your new yearâ€™s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I donâ€™t remember making any last year.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes. My friend and co-worker Carol. I’m still grieving.
5. What countries did you visit?.
None. I don’t have the fortitude to travel long distance in an airplane with two kids under 5.
6. What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006?
Time. Breathing space.
7. What dates from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
November 24th. The day Carol died. December 11th. The day I’d realized I’d hit my limit and walked away from the world for a while.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
9. What was your biggest failure?
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Coxsackie virus. My first migraine. Depression.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Vic and Jules’ big Christmas present – an inflatable trampoline/jumper thingie that they both love and is a sanity saver for me. Even if it’s raining outside, they can burn off energy.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Vic. He’s really starting to shine now that he can express himself.
Carol who faced a cancer diagnosis with her chin up despite being afraid and continued to be a helpful, loyal friend in spite of it.
My family on the East Coast who all pulled together to help fix up my grandmother’s house this summer so she could move into it before Thanksgiving.
11. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Other than the usual string of political figures, no one I can mention here.
12. Where did most of your money go?
Daycare and rent.
13. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
My 10 year college reunion. Our road trip to Seattle.
14. What song will always remind you of 2006?
“Crazy” by Gnarls Barkley, “Let Go” by Frou Frou, “Promiscuous” by Nelly Furtado
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a. happier or sadder
b. thinner or fatter
c. richer or poorer?
Happier, fatter, about the same.
16. What do you wish youâ€™d done more of?
Visiting with friends & family. Exercise.
17. What do you wish youâ€™d done less of?
Eating crap. Stressing over things I couldn’t really change.
18. How will you be spending/did you spend Christmas?
At home with my kids around the Christmas tree and having pancakes with them and my husband on Christmas morning while opening gifts.
19. Did you fall in love in 2006?
Like it was the first time with my husband.
20. How many one-night stands?.
21. What was your favorite TV program?
Battlestar Galactica, Lost, Veronica Mars, the Stargates, Eureka, CSI.
22. Do you hate anyone now that you didnâ€™t hate this time last year?
23. What was the best book you read?
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. For once something not scifi or fantasy.
24. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Rent, the musical.
25. What did you want and get?
A new laptop at last.
26. What did you want and not get?
27. What was your favorite film of this year?
I saw very few films this year. Casino Royale probably takes the prize since I can’t seem to really remember anything I saw earlier this year and that’s a bad sign.
26. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I don’t remember. I turned 32.
27. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?.
Being less alone.
28. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006?
Boring, when not boho.
29. What kept you sane?
Willpower. Until I ran out of that.
30. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
It’s all about the cast of Veronica Mars.
31. What political issue stirred you the most?
I have my head firmly stuck in the sand while singing la la la.
32. Who did you miss?
My mom. My brothers. My grandmother. Smithie friends. Carol.
33. Who was the best new person you met?
Not necessarily new, but the folks from ROM at Yeechi & Franklyn’s wedding.
34. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006.
No matter how bad it gets, it’s going to be okay.
Don’t eat at McDonald’s.
35. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
There’s beauty in the breakdown